You will hear people talking in eight different situations. For each question, choose the best answer.
You hear a news item on the radio about a man who has been arrested.
What is his name?
You hear a woman talking on the telephone about a missing order.
Who is she?
You hear a young woman reading aloud from a magazine article.
What is the article about?
You hear a man and a woman talking in a shop.
What kind of a shop is it?
You hear someone reading a short passage aloud.
What is the passage from?
You hear a man and a woman talking about someone called Robert Croft, who is about to be interviewed.
What will happen if his interview is successful?
You hear a young couple talking about moving house.
What do they think about the move?
You want to order a CD from a shop. You telephone the shop and hear a recorded message.
What should you do next?
You will hear an interview with a woman called Anita Lee, who runs a successful business producing ready-made Chinese meals. For questions 9 — 18, complete the sentences.
9. People in millions of British eat Anita Lee’s meals.
10. The Chinese meals which Anita bought didn’t taste like the food cooked by .
11. In order to cook for herself, Anita had to find authentic Chinese .
12. A friend of Anita’s who was the owner of the local Chinese restaurant had trouble keeping .
13. Increased demand made it necessary for Anita to hire people .
14. Anita ‘s company was given the top prize for ethnic food by a well-known food .
15. She needed money to expand the company, but she didn’t want to get a from the bank.
16. Lania Foods wanted to make changes in the way that the was produced.
17. In order to buy back her company, Anita was forced to sell .
18. Becoming Businesswoman of the Year was Anita’s .
You will hear five different people are talking about how they met their partners.
For questions 19 — 23, choose the list (A—F) what happened to each speaker. Use the letters only once. There is one extra letter you do not need to use.
A. This person’s partner asked for a dance.
B. This person was immediately attracted to their partner.
C. This person didn’t like their partner at first.
D. This person’s partner is a doctor.
E. This person met their partner at work.
F. This person’s partner went to the same school.
You will hear a discussion between a teacher and Mrs Bromley, a student’s mother, about her son Billy. For questions 24 — 30, choose the best answer.
Why has the teacher asked to see Mrs. Bromley?
How has Billy reacted to his brother leaving home?
What is a possible consequence of children watching violent films?
What solution to the problem does the teacher suggest?
Mrs. Bromley is upset because she feels that she_______
How does the teacher feel about finding a solution?
According to the teacher, parents________