English Tenses - Advanced Test 2
10/2/2019 9:46:20 AM
Bài tập tổng hợp về các thì trong tiếng Anh ở độ khó B1-B2, dành cho thí sinh ôn thi vào 10 chuyên Anh.
Look, the conservation volunteers ____cheerfully in the sunshine all morning, unlike yesterday , when they ____ to work in the rain.
- worked / are refusing
- are working / were refusing
- will be working / have refused
- have been working / refused
- will have worked / had refused
A: Is that your pure wool pullover in the washing machine? It ____ you know!
B: No, I ____it several times in the machine already. I use the wool cycle and it's fine.
- was shrinking / wash
- has shrunk / had washed
- will shrink / washed
- is going to shrink / have washed
- is shrinking / have been washing
The weather conditions ____throughout the day and now the ground officials are confident that the championship game ____ ahead.
- have been improving / will go
- will be improving / will go
- have improved / was going
- are improving / has gone
- improved / went
Some of us will be needed tomorrow to finish the fence because, at this rate , two sections ____ unfinished when we ____work tonight.
- have remained / stopped
- will have remained / were stopping
- are going to remain / will stop
- are remaining / are stopping
- will remain / stop
Decoupage, an art form that ____ in France during the 17th century, ____ cutting out designs and patterned materials and fastening them permanently to surface.
- has originated / will involve
- originated / involves
- was originating / is involving
- will have originated / involved
- is originating / was involving
They ____ so many hotels in the region in recent years that gradually they ____ the natural beauty of the area.
- were building / destroy
- will built / have been destroying
- have built / are destroying
- are building / have destroyed
- have been building / destroyed
After she ____ to me for the fifth time, I ____ another word she said, and put an end to our friendship.
- has lied / don't believe
- has been lying / won't believe
- was lying / haven't believed
- is lying / hadn't believed
- had lied / didn't believe
Since they ____ part in their first conversation volunteer week, they ____ on several projects with great pleasure.
- are taking / worked
- take / will have worked
- are going to take / are working
- took / have worked
- have been taking / work
Asia ____ the world's largest land mass and ____ just over half of the world's people.
- has had / held
- is having / is holding
- has / holds
- was having / was holding
- has been having / will hold
I ____ to the bank during my lunch-break today, but an old colleague ____ to visit us, so, naturally, I wanted to hear all the news.
- was going / came
- went / is coming
- have gone / was coming
- had gone / has come
- am going / comes
Suddenly it ____ very foggy, so we ____ compass bearings to find the right route down the mountain.
- will become / use
- had become / used
- became / are using
- becomes / will use
- has become / had used
We're looking after our neighbour's dog as well as our own and it ____ two kilos of meat a day, so I ____ dog meat in bulk these days.
- is eating / bought
- ate / have bought
- was eating / have been buying
- eats / am buying
- will have eaten / had bought
By the end of this court session the jury ____ all the witnesses and they ____ the courtroom to decide on a verdict.
- have been hearing / have left
- have heard / are leaving
- are hearing / leave
- hear / left
- will have heard / will leave
I feel certain that her new travel agency ____ because she ____ a thorough market survey.
- is succeeding / will do
- has succeeded / will have done
- will succeed / has done
- was succeeding / is doing
- succeeded / has been doing
When Chilean separatist forces ____ an independent Chile in 1818, the vice-royalty of Peru ____ over Chile for almost three centuries.
- declared / had been ruling
- has declared / was ruling
- was declaring / has been ruling
- is declaring / ruled
- had declared / will have ruled
I ____ some chicken curry earlier and ____ Richard and Kate to stay for dinner, but just then I remembered that they were both vegetarian.
- was going to cook / have asked
- had been cooking / will ask
- cooked / will have asked
- had cooked / was going to ask
- have cooked / had asked
I expect you ____ from school by this time next year and ____ for a job.
- have graduated / will have looked
- are graduating / have been looking
- will have graduated / will be looking
- graduate / will have been looking
- were graduating / are going to look
Our Spanish teacher ____ very slowly and clearly to us at the moment because we ____ very far in the language yet.
- talks / aren't progressing
- is talking / haven't progressed
- was talking / didn't progress
- has been talking / weren't progressing
- will be talking / don't progress
Before the potato blight ____ Ireland in the 1840s, most Irish people ____ on a subsistence diet of potatoes.
- was striking / relied
- has struck / relies
- had struck / has relied
- strikes / will rely
- struck / had relied
Between the years 1846 and 1851, one million Irish men and women ____ to death and 1.6 million ____ to the USA.
- had been starving / have emigrated
- have been starving / emigrate
- were starving / were emigrated
- starved / emigrated
- had starved / will have emigrated
Bangladesh ____ independence from Pakistan in 1971 and ever since the assassination of the first prime minister in 1974, the military ____ the country's government.
- has gained / were dominating
- had gained / are dominating
- gained / have dominated
- was gaining / dominate
- gains / have been dominating
Over the recent years alcoholism ____ a leading cause death of the young adult population in the USA. This statistics ____ deaths from drunken driving and fires started by carelessly dropped cigarettes.
- became / was including
- becomes / included
- was becoming / will include
- is becoming / is including
- has become / includes
Some of the workers ____ the peaches while the others ____ them in wooden boxes.
- are picking / will place
- were picking / were placing
- have been picking / placed
- picked / have been placing
- had been picking / have placed
Although manufacturers ____electric cars as prototypes for a number of years now, it will be a long time before they ____ common.
- produced / are becoming
- have been producing / become
- produce / will become
- are producing / became
- were producing / will have become
Between 1607 and 1733 Englishmen ____ thirteen colonies along the east cost of North America and by 1750 nearly two million men, women and children ____ in these colonies.
- were establishing / will be living
- have been establishing / lived
- established / were living
- had established / will have lived
- have established / had lived
I ____ some wood for the fire while you ____ the salad.
- will fetch / prepare
- fetch / are preparing
- am fetching / will prepare
- have fetched / prepared
- was fetching / have prepared
By the 16th century, Austria ____ so large that its emperor ____ all of modern Austria, Belgium, the Netherlands, Czechoslovakia, Hungary and Spain as well as parts of Italy and Yugoslavia.
- has become / ruled
- was becoming / has rule
- was going to become / rule
- had become / was ruling
- becomes / has been ruling
The earthworm, which ____ neither lungs nor gills, ____ through its skin.
- is having / has breath
- has had / is breathing
- was having / breathed
- will have / was breathing
- has / breathes
The athletes ____ for exactly three months by the time the races ____ due to start.
- have been training / will be
- will have been training / are
- are going to train / will have been
- are training / were
- had trained / have been
Adolescence, the process of changing from a child into an adult usually ____ sometime between the ages of 11 and 14 and ____ for approximately six to ten years.
- occurs / continues
- occurred / has been continuing
- will occur / continued
- occurs / was continuing
- occurred / will have continued
I ____ Malcolm in his car, but he ____ the traffic and didn’t see me.
- was seeing / watches
- see / has watched
- have seen / is watching
- saw / was watching
- am seeing / watched
Tim ____ a master’s degree as soon as he ____ to Canada.
- has begun / is returning
- began / returned
- is beginning / returned
- was beginning / returns
- begins / has returned
Ratchel ____ up smoking four years ago and she ____ a cigarette since.
- was giving / doesn’t smoke
- has given / wasn’t smoking
- gave / hasn’t smoked
- has given / didn’t smoke
- is giving / isn’t smoking
Last year Sonny ____ four miles each morning before breakfast, but he ____ around the block each morning instead since his heart attack.
- ran / has been walking
- has run / has walked
- runs / was walking
- has been running / walks
- was running / walked
I ____ a brace on my teeth as a child, but I didn’t like it.
- was wearing
- am wearing
- have worn
- have been wearing
I ____ an extra part-time job last week as we ____ the money.
- am starting / are needing
- was starting / have needed
- start / needed
- have started / were needing
- started / need
In 1951, the people of the Gold Coast ____ for their own government and shortly afterwards, they ____ their country as Ghana.
- vote / are renaming
- voted / renamed
- have voted / were renaming
- were voting / have renamed
- are voting / rename
As my son ____ down by the river, I ____ his room thoroughly.
- fishes / have cleaned
- is fishing / cleaned
- has fished / clean
- fished / have been cleaning
- was fishing / cleaned
We ____ in Cornwall for two weeks last summer. Since then, we ____ a holiday by the sea.
- stayed / haven’t had
- are staying / don’t have
- were staying / didn’t have
- stay / aren’t having
- have stayed / weren’t having
One of the straps on the baby’s pram ____ quite thin, so we ____ to replace it.
- wore / decide
- wears / have decided
- had worn / decided
- is wearing / were deciding
- has been wearing / decide
This time last year, his business ____ a reasonable profit, but now, because of that management, he ____ to keep it going.
- has made / has struggled
- made / was struggling
- make / has been struggling
- has been making / struggles
- was making / is struggling
The last time we ____ dinner with them, they ____ for a new house.
- have had / looked
- were having / have been looking
- have been having / look
- had / were looking
- have / are looking
The whole family was busy. While the children ____ decorations, their father ____ up the Christmas tree.
- are making / is setting
- made / has been setting
- have been making / has set
- were making / was setting
- have made / set
A: What’s on TV tonight?
B: Match of the day, Manchester United ____ against South Melbourne.
- had played
- were playing
- are playing
- have played
Isn't it strange that you ____ for Mark’s surprise party all week, but you ____ him a birthday present yet?
- are preparing / didn’t buy
- have been preparing / haven’t bought
- prepared / don’t buy
- have prepared / aren’t buying
- prepare / weren’t buying
While my parents ____ in the shopping centre, a thief ____ into their car for the radio.
- shopped / has broken
- were shopping / broke
- have shopped / breaks
- are shopping / was breaking
- shop / is breaking
When we ____ her, she ____ in the wardrobe.
- were finding / hides
- find / has hidden
- are finding / is hiding
- found / was hiding
- have found / hid
I never ____ my temper on purpose, of course, but sometimes I just ____, though I always regret it afterwards.
- lose / explode
- lost / am exploding
- have been losing / exploding
- were losing / have exploding
- have lost / was exploding
Even though it ____ heavily at the time, they ____ home.
- has snowed / were driving
- snows / have been driving
- was snowing / drove
- has been snowing / drive
- snowed / are driving
It’s been one week since the floods ____,but still aid workers ____ people.
- are striking / rescued
- strike / were rescuing
- were striking / have been rescuing
- struck / are rescuing
- have struck / rescue