Read the text and write the missing words. Write ONE word on each blank.
Thomas Cook (1808 -1892) is widely considered to be the father of modern mass tourism. He organized the first package in history. He arranged for the Midland Counties Railway to charge one shilling per person for a group of campaigners traveling Leicester to a rally in Loughborough, eleven miles away. Cook was paid a share of the fares charged to the passengers, as the railway tickets couldn't issued at his own price. There been railway excursions before, but this one included entrance to an entertainment held on private grounds, rail tickets, and food during the train . Cook immediately saw the potential of a convenient ‘off-the-peg’ holiday product in which everything was in one cost. Afterwards he pioneered holidays both in Britain and on the European continent (where Paris and the Alps were the most popular destinations). He founded the agency Thomas Cook & Son (popularly nicknamed Cook's Tours), which became Thomas Cook AG eventually becoming Thomas Cook Group in 2007.
You can learn a lot about fee local _____ by talking to local people.
It's good to have someone to _____ you when you are visiting a new place.
When you _____ your destination, your tour guide will meet you at the airport.
It can be quite busy here during the tourist _____.
Make sure you _____ a hotel before you come to our island, especially in the summer.
Captain Cook discovered Australia on a _____ to the Pacific.
Most tourist attractions in London charge an admission _____.
The hotel where we are _____ is quite luxurious.
Give the correct form of the words in brackets to complete the passage.
Welcome to wonderful Dana Tours! Come to us and you are sure to find the (WIDE) range of holidays! You can pamper yourself at the five-star Vinland Hotel in a well- (KNOW) seaside resort, where the facilities none. If you prefer a more active holiday, you can cruise around the island in a canoe, go diving to see the (WONDER) coral reef or go trekking to admire the spectacular scenery. (ALTERNATE), you might prefer to take a self-catering apartment in one of the (PICTURE) fishing villages. There you can sample the authentic local cuisine, with its famous seafood (SPECIAL), and choose from a variety of excursions to places of culture and (ARCHAEOLOGY) interest. Our prices are inclusive of all flights and (ACCOMMODATE) and represent excellent value. Book now, before it's too late!
Fill each blank in the sentences below with a compound noun from the box.
1. It's easy to use the . Enter the code for the item you want, then insert coins equalling the price shown.
2. After the explosion, the guards at the temple have to keep a sharp for anything suspicious.
3. I'm not going to buy anything - I haven't got any cash on me anyway. But it's fun to do some !
4. Halloween, we decorated jack-o'-lanterns and hung up pictures of witches riding .
5. After a long holiday at the seaside, I've got great !
6. The terraced rice fields in Ha Giang attract a large number of when harvest season comes.
Form compound nouns from the elements given and use them to complete the sentences below.
|take | down | by | sea | check | let||away | pour | standers | shells | out | down|
1. We got something to eat from an Indian on the way to the hotel.
2. The suddenness of the had caught the tourist by surprise.
3. The near the bus stop saw the accident.
4. We enjoyed the sight of children gathering on the beach.
5. You can't just go through the without paying.
6. In comparison with the exotic pictures in the brochure, the resort was a real .
Insert a, an, or the in each gap.
Egypt, most populous country in the Arab world, is home to one of world's oldest cultures. Modern-day Egypt is descended from ancient civilization that emerged in the 10th millennium BC. stunning, colossal monuments of Ancient Egypt never fail to astonish. romantic cruise along the Nile - world's longest river - dazzles the senses. Giza Plateau is Ancient Egypt's most famous, fascinating, and mysterious archaeological site for people to explore. No other place has magic, mystery, and pleasures of Egypt. Travel to Egypt and you will discover world of wonder.
Insert a word/phrase in each blank to complete the sentences.
1. We prefer to go by train, even though the car is a lot quicker.
2. The of flight 382 from Moscow has been delayed by one hour.
3. I've always wanted to be a travel photographer and take pictures of .
4. Passengers requiring a special meal during the flight should inform the airline .
5. We had plenty of time so we the scenic route.
6. Travelling to a foreign country really does your horizons.
7. Now, class, I'd like you all to write a of your last holiday.
8. Once we got to the station, I quickly looked through the to see when the next train was.