For each question, write the correct answer in the gap. Write one word or a number or a date or a time.
You will hear Kim asking for information about a talk at a library.
Central Library Talk
First name: (0) Kim
Name of talk: Manga: the of Japanese comics
Date: Friday, July
Amount paid: £
Match the words with their opposites.
Fill in the blanks with the correct words from the box. Two words will not be used.
1. Our hotel room had a very bed, so I slept well.
2. If we win the , we’ll buy a big house on the beach.
3. There’s a(n) in the newspaper about the new shopping centre.
4. Peter missed his train because he was on the wrong .
5. My sister dresses really well. She always wears clothes.
6. When you a red light in your car, you have to stop.
7. I want to be healthier, so I plan to a gym.
8. I enjoy movies. They aren’t just for kids.
Sarah is _____ at chemistry than Susan.
My class has more students _____ hers.
Complete the second sentence using the word given that has the same meaning to the first.
Mount Everest is higher than any other mountain in the world. (HIGHEST)
=> Mount Everest .
Bill Gates is one of _____ men in the world.
Teaching young children is the _____ thing in Jimmy's life.
Choose the correct answer.
He drives as_______ his father does.
Complete the second sentence so that it has the same meaning to the first.
Living in the countryside is more peaceful than living in the city. => Living in the city isn't.....
-"Excuse me, where is the post office?"
John is in Hanoi and wants to change some money. He asks a local passer-by the way to the bank.
- John: "Can you show me the way to the nearest bank, please?"
- Passer-by: "_____"
If Mr. Smith ______ me the job, I'd turn it down.
I would send her a fax if I _____ her number.
If I _____ rich, I _____ around the world.
Choose the underlined part that needs correction.
When my father was a student, he used to playing soccer after school.
Rewrite the sentence so that it has a similar meaning to the original one.
When he was young, he lived in Hanoi. => He used ..........
When I _____ home, my father _____ my mother with the cooking.
Anna _____ last night when the telephone _____.
She was walking home when the wind _____ her hat off.
A: Why are you putting those books in boxes?
B: I _____ them. I don't want them.
A: What's the largest city in the USA?
B: Hmm ... I don't know. Wait. I _____ my dad.
Read the passage. Then read the statements and circle true or false.
I grew up on a farm. A month ago, I moved to Chicago, one of the biggest cities in America. (Only New York and Los Angeles are bigger.) I came here to study at university. I quite like my teachers and my classmates, but I miss my home.
It’s livelier here, but it’s hardly ever relaxing. And the city is much more expensive than my hometown. The people aren’t as friendly here. Also, my family and friends are far away.
I would study in my hometown if I could. But there aren’t any universities there. In four years, I’m going to graduate and then move back to the countryside. I’m going to buy a farm and have a big family there. I’m looking forward to having a traditional life!
1. The writer used to live in the countryside.
2. He now lives in America’s largest city.
3. He thinks people in his new home are friendlier.
4. He’s probably not going to graduate.
5. He doesn’t want to live in a modern city in the future.